Blunham Village Web Site.
Photographs and postcards of
Blunham from the early 1900s
(sometimes with the modern views).
These old photographs and postcards were kindly loaned by various people, including
Ionie Brennan (Australia), Charlie Harding, Joan Skelton and Frank Reed, Carol
Harding (all of Blunham).
Blunham Mill: a view of the mill
pond and a punt (1905), and a different view showing the River Ivel, the
Mill Pond and the
Looking north up
the High Street in 1914 with the Oak pub on the left, and an enlargement
of this showing "The
Oak" sign. (This is now a private house). Please see also Bill Exley's
article on past and present Blunham Pubs.
Cottage (High Street) old photo of unknown date.
The Baptist Chapel,
and Church Institute (pre 1920?), both buildings form the school today.
The Southern end of the High Street, now
and old: View
2 and View
The Church, old,
in 1915, in 1961,
and now, and
a view of the Church
from the churchyard circa 1910
"The Square", showing Judd's store and the Ragged staff, View
1 and View 2,
both circa 1907
Half way up the Hill, now,
and old: View1,
View 2, and View
3 (later, with pavements).
horse pub as it was over 50 years ago and as
it is now as a private house
and Barford road and The
High Street looking north, both circa 1900 (coloured postcards), a photograph
from 1987 looking
West, and a recent panoramic
mosaic, all from the top of the Church tower.
(corner of Station Road and The Hill) and a modern
view of the same house.
A coloured postcard looking from Park
Lane towards the Church down "The Snicket", showing thatched
cottages which no longer exist, and a black
and white photograph from a similar time.
A view of the Church
and the Old Rectory from the Ivel (date not known), a similar view from
1900 on a coloured
postcard, and a modern
view (by Tim Sharrock).
The following photographs come in pairs, both on the same page:
double hump-backed bridges
between the "A1" and Blunham.
Thatched cottage on Grange Road
Grange Road (south) including
the above cottage
Grange Road - a little further
down than the one above The
north end of the High Street
looking towards Grange Road, with a horse waiting patiently for its owner
outside "The Oak" beerhouse. I'm told that when the horse got fed
up of waiting, it used to go home by itself! The
north end of the High Street,
view 2. The north end of the
in the 1960s, taken shortly after the houses on the right were built. A view of the
north and middle
of the High Street looking south. Numbers
93 to 97 High Street Number
97 High Street The
southern end of the High
street, showing the two pubs (The Salutation and the Horseshoes). Blunham Square showing the
Head" pub. This is now a house and re-named "The Ragged Staff"
- the old name for The Salutation pub.
A similar photograph to that above,
but showing Shoe Cottage as well. The Square showing
Judds shop etc. Looking out of
The Square into the High
Street with the end of the Queen's Head at the left.
Shoe Cottage (next door to the
old Queen's Head). The
The field between "The
Drift" and Redhouse Farm
Ziggy's cottage, Brickhill
Close, after the fire. Looking into
(Ziggy's cottage at the right).
The Ovens cottage (in the square) The
old (fire) engine house on
the triangle of grass on Park Lane. Looking
up Park Lane from near the
Church of St. Edmund or St. James,
Looking into the Square from
"The Snicket", now completely
The Post Office on The Hill
The Square and the Horseshoes
from The Hill
The Hill (view 1)
The Hill (view 2)
Do you have any old photographs of Blunham and/or its people? We are looking
for photographs both to add to this page and to use at a future exhibitions
to raise funds for the Village Hall etc. If you are prepared to loan us any
photographs they will be returned almost immediately (If they are in an album,
that doesn't matter as we can scan them in situ). Please give me a ring (we're
in the local phone book and BT's Web site), knock on our door, or drop us a
line via post or
Please turn on Java Script to get email address
This page last updated:
22nd May 2010