The Railway Tavern - c1960's
102, Station Road now 'The Conifers' - 2001
- The Ralway Tavern Pub / site is at the end of Station Road, one of our 8 Pubs, and was next to Blunham Railway Station [as was] , which served the Sandy, Blunham to Bedford stations. This Varsity - Line connected Cambridge to Oxford cities and so the Universities, opening in 1862 until 1968 when the line closed. - The station now Old Station Court, opened in 1866 until it was closed down 31/3/62 following the demise of many rail links Nationwide, at that time c1962 / 66, all courtesy of a certain Dr / Mr Beeching.
- What a complete waste of money, time and effort with loss of lives, in the construction of tracks etc, all to be wasted. - Now, in the late 1990's and 2020 it is being 'Reviewed' as an option, for 'Links' to feed the Bedford and Cambridge areas. - Update now - (1/7/22) - the Oxford to Cambridge, or Varsity Line, route will take place in the near future.
Old Blunham Station around the 1950's. The old tracks were taken up around the 1970's, later the bridge spanning Station Road, leading South out of the village to the nearby Hamlet of Chalton, was also dismantled.
o * O * O * o
A RECORD OF LANDLORDS & TENANTS
|William Goodman - Railway Inn now and 1st Lic||1863- 1869|
|Nathaniel Kifford King - renamed the Railway Tavern||1869- 1888|
|Thomas Bossingham||1888- 1901|
|Now - the Blunham Population is 603 - Served by the Eight Pubs||1909|
|Mrs Rhoda Bossingham.- Brewers, Wells & Winch of Bedford||1901- 1914|
|Harry Bossingham||1914- 1935|
|Mr Baxter||23-05-1935 - 1939|
|Mrs Ann, May Baxter - widow . . 'The 2nd World War years now'||20-02-1939 - 1955|
|Harry Robinson||06-07-1955 - 1961|
|Sydney Reid - During 1961 - Wells & Winch merge with Greene King||18-10-1961 - 1966|
Sadly the Railway Tavern now Closes
and it lies empty until - a New Lic. is granted to -
|Jim Sawford, a Tempsford Businessman||1979-83|
|Andrew Vaughn / Ex Cheff.||1983-86|
|Christine, Barbara Jennings||1986-87|
|Patricia Gudgin . - Greene King - Brewers||1987-90|
|Mateo Lopez, and renamed The Huntress. - 23/03/92||1990-94|
The Huntress closes down and now a House - * - 'The Conifers'
Last revision made by Bill Exley on - / - 1st July - 2022
Return to Index Page