Blunham Pubs: The White Horse

By Bill Exley

Rear of the Pub c1946
Dec 1960

This modern built Public House stands on high ground, it's main entrance and frontage overlooking The Hill and the fields beyond, locally known as 'The Brick Fields' but recently returned to agricultural use. It was built on the corner site of Park Lane and The Hill for Greene King Breweries of Biggleswade, opening for trade on the 4th January 1961 with Alec Taylor behind the bar. The present White Horse was built in the garden of the old White Horse, then on completion the old White Horse c1700's was demolished. later a car park, then a house 1a, Park Lane was built on this plot. In bygone years c1903 locals called this quiet walk to the River Ivel 'Back Lane'. Here follows a listing of occupiers to date.

Benj and Eliz Palmer.

Prior to...1785
Benj and Mary Eyre. Cottage, Close & Orchard 25th July 1785
Mary Ayres (Eyre ?.) Widow 29th Jan .1801
'Old White Horse' erected on the orchard site. 22nd Aug 1805
John Elwood, granted 1st. Licence for Beer House. 1832 - 1877
Managers were: Thos. Strickland of Potton, 3rd Sept..1836
Arthur Nash of Royston 1st. Aug .1863
James Home of Potton (Not Tenants.) 1876
George Goodship. ( Occupier). 1st July 1880
James Russell. 1885 - 1894
Stephen Russell, with Newland and Nash as Owners. 1894 - 1906
We now see the change over to Wells and Winch, Brewers 1922
Wm. Hawkins, later moves over to 'The Salutation' 1924 - 1934
Chas. Wm. James Albone takes over 13th June 1934
John Herbert and Emily Harding (see photo. below) 9thAug 1944 - Dec.1960
Opening by Mr Odell for Greene King the new . White Horse' 4th Jan 1961
Alec Wm. Hughes Taylor, comes up from 'The Salutation' 11th Jan 1961
Donald and June Stephenson 20th Sept 1961
John Dennis 9th Dec 1964
Tom and Zina Thomlinson. 16th May 1966
Hugh and Mary Baird. 17th July 1968
Thom. and Josie Davies. 11th March 1970
Doug and Amy Powell. 18th Sept 1974
Nigel and Carol Gudgion 3rd July 1980
Roy and Susan Walsh 25th July 1984
200 Years of History handed to Roy and Susan on their 1st. Anniversary as Publicans To the Day ,Month and Year ! ! this day *

25th July 1985

This Public House now closes and Roy and Susan move down to The Salutation P.H

11th Sept 1986.

The building now reverts to a private dwelling and now 22, The Hill 11th Sept 1986

Emily and Herbert John Harding and his dog outside the back of the old White Horse c1946

Back to Index Page


Page last updated 01/10/2018 --by Bill Exley.