Luton:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1898.
.
.
- "LEAGRAVE, in the ecclesiastical parish of Limbury-cum-Biscot, (which
was in the parish of Luton), is a civil parish formed in 1896, 3 miles north-west
and one mile south-east from Limbury, with a station on the main line of the Midland
Railway. Near the village is Leagrave Marsh, whence springs the River Lea, which
flows through Luton, Wheathampstead, Hertford and other towns.
Madame de Falbe is lady of the manor; John Cumberland esq. J.P. is the principal
landowner. The area is 1,137 acres; rateable value, £6,384; the population in 1891
was 600."
- "LIMBURY-CUM-BISCOT, (or Bishopscote) a village and parish,
2½ miles north-west from Luton stations on the Midland and Great Northern railway,
and is in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Flitt, Luton union; petty
sessional division and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Luton,
archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The hamlets of Limbury-cum- Biscot and
Leagrave were in 1866 formed into the ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, Biscot,
and in 1896, under the provisions of section I (3) of the 'Local Government Act,
1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), they became separate civil parishes.
Francis Crawley esq. and Mr. Crosse are the principal landowners. Here is a small
Baptist chapel. Here was once a nunnery, founded by Roger, abbot of St. Albans, and
dedicated to the Holy Trinity, which, at its dissolution, was valued at £143. Several
skeletons have been found in this hamlet. The area is 2,454 acres; rateable value,
£5,106; the population of the civil parish in 1891 was 404, and of the ecclesiastical
parish, 1,004."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]
[from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2017