By Bill Exley
The Oak, c1914
91 High Street, 2001
The Oak Beerhouse, now 91, High Street used to be a favourite with the land workers, along with others in the village, for all had their regulars. They were all open most of the day, then later tougher drinking hours came into force.
The site is unchanged with the passing of time, it's past can easily be recalled , the weathered space where the old sign was fixed can still be made out. Today it has a small plaque near the door - 'The Old Oak' - so preserving a part of our Bunham history, in the same way as plaques at - 5, High street / The Ragged Staff and 12, The Hill / The Old Post Office,
Thomas Winters - buys The Oak for £100 - and gets first Licence 1849-1872 - o - Also known as 'The Generous Britain' - o - George Thomas, - now Simpsons of Baldock / Brewers 1872-1884 Thomas Winters - as records show , (again, Son ? ) 1884-1899 Arthur James Nears 1899-1901 Charles Gamer 1901-1903 Geo. Battle (a one armed man) 1903-1907 . Now the Blunham population is 603 - Served by the Eight Pubs in - 1909 Geo. Henry Davey (now The Oak , name change unproven) 1907-1910 Thom Stevens, now we have Wells & Winch / Brewers 1910-1914 Archibald and May Hull 1914-1924 Hector Rawlins 1924-1928 Annie & Henry / Harry Lovell - with daughter Betty 1928-1958 Annie Lovell 1957-1958 The Oak now closes down 15/9/1958 Mr and Mrs Jack White (nee Lovell) c1984
Last Revision / on 5th-Nov -2021 / by Bill Exley
Back to Index Page