Blunham Pubs : The Queens Head

By Bill Exley

The Queens Head - c1900 - 1910

Any history of licensed premises in Blunham is complicated by the fact that there have been Two seperate Pubs / Beerhouses both starting as the Ragged Staff and later The Salutation, so I will keep them seperate to avoid confusion.

 

RECORD OF LANDLORDS & TENANTS

The Ragged Staff, later to be The Salutation during - 1786- 1846
Henry Usher sells The Salutation (then) for £345 to a Joseph Lovell. 1846- 1865
1st Licence - and renamed - The Queens Head
1847
Lovell sells the Inn to a Herbert, Albury Dunnage 1865-1869
 
James Boness. 1869-1889
Robert Beadle 1889-1891
Eliz. White 1891-1893
William, John White ( 1yr . ) 1893-1894
Records show a James, John Kither and Jane Arthur (Arthur Jane?) were also domicile
1894
William James Phipper (or Kither ?) 1894-1897
Sold to Charles Wells , Brewers of Bedford
1895
Wm. & Hannah Giggle . (Grandad and Grandmum to a Mr Brown, the Gamekeeper at Tempsford - Hall, - 2 miles away) - 1897-1904
Hannah Giggle ,Widow 1904-1908
John Burton 1908-1914
Now we have a Blunham Population of 603 - served by the 8 Pubs in -
1909
Herbert Currant, who later moves over to The Horseshoes, stays for 30yrs - (40yrs as a Landlord)
1914-1924

The Queens Head is sold by Chas. Wells to a father & son, - ‘both’ called Harry, Thom. Dennis Later the Pub closes, during 1926 -

1924-1927
o * O * O * o
It now becomes a Police House, so for Local Interest, Tenants from records researched.
 
PC Harry Ashton and family. - ref - a 'Bygones' entry in a local Newspaper - 08/03/1991 , by a Mrs King / nee Ashton , daughter, and one of 11 brothers and sisters. re - the 1927 entry. (record to hand)
1927-1934
Pc Harry Whitemore then later PC Jack Frith & families
1934-1942
Henry, Stanley Green, (a Great Barford man)
1942-1957
Peter and Rosalie Davis, but now c2000, only one occupier - Son ?
Oct 1957 to date
 

THE ORIGIN OF A 'RAGGED STAFF'

o * O * O * o


Last Revision made by Bill Exley on - / - 27th Nov -2022

Return to Index Page